Riding with the wind. When I'm sad, she comes to me.
With the thousand smiles, she gives to me...

Fly on my little wing.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Avast!-There's a pirate on our team?

So it's been a while since I've posted an update on my adventures. Since the Charlevoix triathlon I've been doing some average training, but nothing special. The original plan was to get in some solid run training in for the late summer/fall. My mother and sister had wanted to run the Detroit Half Marathon in October and I said I would run as well. Unfortunately I have been unable to have a significant period of time that was uninterrupted by minor injuries. I decided the year of no running, took more out of my running "durability" than I had thought. I just need to be more patient in getting a more solid base back.

So with the half marathon coming up I wasn't in race shape, but I didn't want to exacerbate any injury. However I still wanted to run and decided to have some fun with it, so I wouldn't get sucked into race mode. So I did the obvious. Since Halloween was approaching I decided to dress like a pirate. I had the basic materials from previous pirate costumes, but made a few additions. These included a cardboard and foil hook as well as my best attempt at a "peg leg". ("Wood" patterned fabric over a calf sleeve.)

On to the race. It started wayyyy to early-7AM. It was dark and cold but I made it to the start line and got a few stares regarding my costume. I saw two friends from college and chatted for a minute before finding my place in the starting herd. The start horn went off and I focused on running very conservative and relaxed. It was an interesting experience running through Detroit in the wee morning hours. We then ran over the Ambassador Bridge, which was the coolest part of the race. The sun was just coming up over Canada and there was a nice fog over Windsor, which gave some nice hues to the morning.

Such a menacing pirate face!

Mom and Rebecca in our post-race picture. Note the "peg leg" attempt.

I ran through Canada for a few miles and the Canadians were either drinking Tim Hortons coffee or had solo cups (I assume Molson or Bloody Mary's). Coming back to America through the tunnel offered only the sounds of footsteps and slightly labored breathing. But the next mile upon returning to America was one of the rowdiest crowds I've ever experienced at a race. It was fantastic! The rest of the race was uneventful as I continued to get a few comments on the pirate costume and offered an "Arrrr!" and a "hook pump" in response. I finished in 1:26 and change, which was very pleasing. Of most importance was I did not aggravate any of my healing injuries. I would really enjoy participating in either the full or half being able to go into the race with sufficient training to leave it all out there. It was a great atmosphere with great crowd support.

No comments:

Post a Comment